Church Renovations and Updates
Beginning with the formation of the Westport Community Association in 1955, the process of renovating and maintaining Westport’s Historic Community Church began in earnest.
Fundraisers were held from late summer into the fall of 1955 to raise money for needed repairs. Planning committee members included: Miss Annie Tarbox, Miss Dorothy Tarbox, Mrs. Donald Siebert, Mr. and Mrs. J. Louis Doyle, Miss Katherine Harriman and Herbert Cromwell. Fundraising goals were met and the restoration of the church began.
The Community Association continues this work today.
2012-2013: The exterior of the Church was repainted.
2014: Due to damage from flooding caused by a rodent eating through the roof shingles, the tin ceiling was repaired and repainted. New carpeting was installed and the entire building was thoroughly cleaned. All of the antique oil lamps were lovingly and carefully restored by Ruth Nelson.
2015: A Church committee was formed to help with its maintenance, repair, cleaning and scheduling issues. At this time, replacing the roof was a major concern and preliminary project work was started; it was discovered that the roof will be okay for another 10-15 years.
2016: The Church Committee installed a new window blind in the front room; replaced a broken window pane in the front room, including glazing; painted the window in the front room; fixed an outside light fixture; filled oil lamps with paraffin oil; updated the outside bulletin board; cleaned the church; purchased a new sound system; and rewired the two inside candelabra lights used at the head of the church.